Saturday, July 26, 2008

Sociality

Nothing too interesting is occuring nowadays so I thought I might enlighten you to the social dynamics of Hornby.

There are essentially three groups of people. The locals, who live here year round or just about, are the most respected. They are usually pretty crazy too. Everybody wishes they were a local is what. The tourists everybody hates, because they don't know anything, aren't interesting, and are generally snootyish. Nobody likes them at all really. But we need their money, so we act at least pleasant. Lastly, because people buy second homes or jazz on hornby, the real estate prices are thru tha roof. Consequently, there is a group of people who are migrant workers, who come by only in the summer. This is because they can't afford to live year-round. This is another reason why people don't like the tourists. The migrant workers are pretty cool too, but often they are really into just partying and stuff so not quite respectable like the locals.
Of course, the lines between these blur. For example, myself, I am staying with a local (my auntie) which makes me like a local, but I am only here for the summer and am working here. So, that is the migrant worker aspect. People seem to just accept me though so that is nice. Also, there is another girl I met who used to come here every summer but now she comes as a migrant worker. Is she a local because she has spent so often time here? Is she a tourist because she is not from the island?? These are all pertinent questions.
Everybody loves me though, like I said last post. It is only the luckiest thing. I have made many many friends, and it doesnt even matter too, because everyone is friendly to me even if we aren't friends.
One thing that I love about hornby that the city can never offer me, is that there are like three places to go on the island. So, if you just go there and stand around long enough, just about anyone will show up. This makes it much easier to befriend people. Not to mention the ease with which one can follow up on love oppurtunities.
Not saying anything!
:D
That's it for today. Sorry for the reall slow pace I am moving at.
Here are all the haiku you have been missing!

Wind moves through you
Staring at the sky - hitchhike
In a pick-up truck.

The path is moving
Through trees and brush; the one sound
Of a closer shore.

A wake-up phone call
You know, the birds are singing
Called in on day off.

White stripe on water
Like tides, corresponds to the
Glimmering moonrise.

Shallow ditch-water
So clear, so teeming with life
Yet just a ditch.

Wake up to clouds
At work, no one will know
I slept on the beach.

Same place, every night -
But endless variation
Of each sun setting.

2 comments:

Joanne Arnott said...

these are really fine, many thanks
post pix?

love, ma

Unknown said...

O harps
you are too funny
i LOVE your haiku poems!
if you ever write a book you have to PROMISE me a copy and that you will sign it!!!!